Mark_Strawcutter <MJSTRAW@IUP>
Mon, 5 Mar 90 08:47:00 EST
>>Who can  unsubscribe users from a  node? Just the NAD  (:contact) or can
>>the :techrep or :inforep?
>
>Just the NAD, for  now. If there was a clear consensus on  which of the 2
>BITNET reps  should do  that, I  could add it  to the  list for  the next
>release.
>
>  Eric

We're a small site (3 nodes for now) and I wear all the hats 'cept
bitdirector, so it doesn't really matter which of :inforep or :techrep
you allow to unsubscribe others (in addition to NAD).  If I had to
guess, I'd pick :inforep since he probably deals with list-related issues
more than :techrep.  But then again, the :techrep probably hears about
problems necessitating removal of someone from a list...

The reason I bring this up would probably help others in my situation.
Even though LISTSERV runs on VM, there are a lot of us managing VAXen with
Jnet who have users subscribed to LISTSERV lists.  Our VAXen are in a
2-node cluster (IUPOAK and IUPMAPLE).  The node IUP is a 'virtual' node,
or in Jnet terminology, the 'cluster alias'.

Since all nodes in a cluster are identical from a mail/file standpoint,
all outgoing mail and files is (are?) identified as from @IUP.  Any
incoming mail or files are processed by the first cluster node that it
hits.  The problem is with interactive messages, they go out from @IUPOAK
or @IUPMAPLE and incoming ones addressed to @IUP get a message back
telling them to use one of the 'real' nodes.

What does this all have to do with NAD/techrep/inforep?  Well, right now
I'm all 3 as [log in to unmask]  I can't unsubscribe via interactive messages
since they go out as from [log in to unmask]  If techrep/inforep were
allowed in addition to NAD, I'd leave techrep/inforep as @IUP and modify
each :contact to be @IUPxxxxx as appropriate.

Thanks for you consideration in this.