Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 May 2004 13:17:51 -0400
On Sat, 01 May 2004 18:41:59 EDT, "Alexander J. Willman" <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> SHOW CTR reports 2806453 recipients and 14794250 bounces received for April
> 2004, which doesn't seem right.  How do messages to 2.8 million recipients
> generate 14.8 million bounces?

Two possibilities:

1) It's possible you have a recipient on a brain-dead system that generates
multiple bounce replies - I've seen systems that will send back "unable to
deliver, will retry" once an hour 168 times. ;)  Of course, that shouldn't explain
all the bounces you're seeing.

2) Don't forget bounces generated by stuff that doesn't generate any recipients,
such as a bounced "Your message has been sent to the list owner" for a spam posting.
Note that in *this* category, it's quite possible that you get back several bounces
for the notice...