Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 May 2004 10:14:33 -0400
On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:48:24 +0300, "=?iso-8859-1?Q?A._=D6mer_K=F6ker?=" <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> How can I attach a signature to each mail-distribution with a message
> such as
> ' you are receiving this email at [log in to unmask]  automatically with the
> susbcribed email?

Note that this can be a performance nightmare - Listserv has to then send out
a separate copy of the e-mail for each recipient, differing only in the one line.

It makes a *huge* performance difference if Listserv hands its MTA 1 piece of
mail with 30,000 recipients, or 30,000 pieces of mail with one recipient.

In general, looking at the Received: lines should give you a good enough hint
of what address you're subscribed under.  For instance, our front-end mail hub
put this in the Received: line:

  by lyta.cc.vt.edu (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 Patch 1 (built Aug 19 2002))
  with ESMTP id <[log in to unmask]>
 for valdis@ims-ms-daemon  (ORCPT [log in to unmask]);
 Wed, 12 May 2004 09:50:37 -0400 (EDT)

Funny how that ORCPT rings a bell.. ;)

Failing that, you can start checking the Received: lines, and ask the admin of
the machines involved what their logs say about the message.  Quite often, the
fact that the mail went through Yahoo or Hotmail or AOL on its way to you will
be enough of a clue that "Hey.. I'm subscribed with my Yahoo userid and it's
being forwarded..."..