Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:29:58 CDT
One of our listowners here at A&M asked this.  My answer was, "no,
but I'll send it to the listserv experts as a wish-list item for the
next version".

Basically, he wants Listserv to trap those messages that are being
sent to a list, instead of the Listserv.

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)
http://tamvm1.tamu.edu/~cbarnes/

  It's a bigger mistake to mistrust someone telling you the truth
  than to believe someone telling you a lie.

I am not going to ask *Why_can_the_ following_not_be_done* because I
probably would not understand the answer.  I will ask -- Can the following
be done y/n?

The Listserv software can generate the following error message:

-========== start suggested message =========-

Terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but -- you have sent a post to a
discussion list that contains one of the  disallowed strings <found in the
first column below> within the subject line or within the first two lines
of the body of the post:

subscribe                       (sub*scribe)
sub <space>                     (sub*)
unsubscribe                     (unsub*scribe)
unsub <space>                   (unsub*)
off of this                     (off_of_this)
me off                          (me_off)
get off                         (get_off)
take me                         (take_me)
remove me                       (remove_me)
signoff                         (sign_off)
sign off                        (sign_off)
sign me                         (sign_me)

This indicates you may be inappropriately sending a listserv command as a
post to a list.  If you want to unsubscribe from a list, send the following
message:

to:             [log in to unmask]
subject:        <anything or leave blank>
--------- enter your message below ----
signoff <listname>

However, if you do not want to sign off of a list, please replace the
disallowed string of the first column above with the alternate string in
the second column and re-send your post.

-============== end of suggested message =========-

and the appropriate code is entered into the listserver.

It does not seem complicated to me and it would make hundreds of thousands
of people around the world less unhappy.

Don Hockaday
owner TexCoast