Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:43:15 -0500
On 11/9/00 at 10:17 AM -0500, Nathan Brindle said:
>If you delete them with PUT, it deletes the listname.db* files, and they
>are then rebuilt the next time someone does a search.  Any other method
>(eg simply deleting the notebooks) is guaranteed to de-synch the indices.
>
>Note also that if you delete notebooks with PUT, the web indexes are
>automatically rebuilt immediately.

I do the deletes with a perl script, so I'll have to add code to keep the other files in sync.  Not a problem.  Happily, I noticed that listserv fixes the .dbindex/.dbnames files are this search error, so it works properly the next time the user tries it.  It does not delete the .ind files that don't have matching .log files, but since they aren't referenced in the .db files they do not cause a problem.

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Center for Academic Computing, Penn State University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)