Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:03:38 -0400
> Even more odd is that the LISTSERV-generated daily-reports
> have recently been addressed:
>
>    To: To Distribution List <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Sending a 'REGISTER Melvin Klassen' corrected the problem,
> but finding the cause of the problem wasn't as easy, but I did, of course.
>
> Apparently, some novice list-owner issued:
>
>      QUIET ADD listname [log in to unmask] To Distribution List
>
> for each(!) subscriber on the list.
>
> LISTSERV's "registry" got updated, and the daily-messages
> use that information when composing those messages.

It's always seemed wrong to me that a list owner's choice of name in
a subscription overrides what's in the registry, thus affecting
future subscriptions to other lists.  It seems to me that a name given
in an ADD command should be entered in the registry only if there's no
name already there.  A name given in a SUBSCRIBE command should always
be entered in the registry, because SUBSCRIBE commands are entered by
the users themselves.