Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 May 1997 11:51:54 -0400
>Is it true that AOL has implemented such a filter, and does that mean that
>mail coming from a LISTSERV service could cause the server's domain to be
>filtered out by the AOL mail system?
>
>If there is someone from AOL on this list, and this is true, then can you
>convince me not to alter my site configuration file to prevent any AOL
>user subscribing to any of my lists?

Remember what Eric said this week? He's working on it.

BTW, using LISTSERV(TM) DISTRIBUTE MAIL DEBUG=YES, and L-Soft's MAILER, I
have discovered (from PSUVM.PSU.EDU point-of-view):

 AOL.COM                        goes to PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM (766)
  PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM: UBVM     PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM
 * UBVM.BITNET is routed as follows:
 * <.BITNET> PSUVM SMTP BSMTP NETDATA @INTERBIT.CREN.NET

and from PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM p-o-v:

AOL.COM                        goes to PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM (766)

What this means to me is that LISTSERV Distribute mail from or thru
PSUVM.PSU.EDU for [log in to unmask] are re-distributed to
[log in to unmask] but via the Internet/Bitnet gateway at
INTERBIT.CREN.NET (aka pucc.princeton.edu) which sends it to Bitnet node
UBVM which THEN sends it to [log in to unmask] (aka
vms.dc.lsoft.com).

When I think about, I'm surprised that PUCC hasn't filtered this!

Disclaimer: then I pretend I know what I'm talking about, there might be
more smoke and mirrors of which I am not aware.

/Pete

--
mailto:[log in to unmask]      Tel: +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg; University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA