Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 13 Nov 1986 13:45 SET
(* Note: the following assumes intelligent behaviour  on the part of the people
         who will maintain the filelists :-) *)

Phil,

A1: If N packages  refer to the same module, the $PACKAGE  file should all make
    reference to it under the same name and only one copy will be kept on disk.
    Of course  if each package  owner decides to store  his own version  of the
    file, then  N copies  will be maintained  and I'll send  angry mail  to the
    filelist maintainer :-)

A2:  A package-definition  file  can reference  individual  files from  another
    package or a whole other package. No problem here.

A3: My  opinion is we  might as well  send the owner  of the second  package an
    official  Compatibility Enforcement  Against Backwards  Use Problems  Form,
    IBM form number GC-1256-0, than wait  until he confirms the whatever change
    of whatever. If IBM  makes a change to CMS, LISTSERV  won't provide a back-
    level copy of CMS until I confirm that the new one still works ;-)

A4: Packages will  be sent as individual  files, and this is  necessary for two
    reasons mainly:

      a) It's  the only  way I  can be  sure everybody  can order  the package,
         including non-VM sites.

      b) A complete  check is made for each file  in the package (control-exec,
         FAC violation,  etc). Actually  the exec  calls itself  recursively to
         avoid a huge duplication of code.

      c) I can't assume  all VM sites have CARD MODULE; and  DISK is so uneffi-
         cient (53 out of 80 cols are  used for actual data, the rest is repea-
         ted garbage X'02',C'CMS',C'format',C'fileid',etc) that I'd rather send
         as separate Netdata files.

The multiple X-To: problem may be a LISTSERV bug or a local problem at UIUCVMD.
I'll check it out.

  Eric