Brian Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:32:25 -0400
I'm looking for a LISTSERV host for a Georgia Appalachian Trail Club
mailing list.  The GATC has approx. 650 members, roughly 10% of whom are
email users.  I've put together an email list that I update & distribute
manually, and I'd like to automate things.

Here is some info about the club:

     The Georgia Appalachian Trail Club, Inc. is a voluntary association of
     individuals who, because of their love of our wilderness areas, have
     assumed responsibility for maintenance of the Appalachian Trail in
     Georgia.

     The Trail, one of the first two National Scenic Trails, is a footpath
     over 2,100 miles long through the wilderness, following a skyline
     route over the  Appalachians from Springer Mountain in Georgia to
     Katahdin in Maine.

     To the Indians who once inhabited this wild and beautiful region, the
     word  Appalachian meant "endless."  So it is that the Appalachian
     Trail is, for all practical purposes, an endless footpath winding
     through mountain regions with a great variety of plants and animal
     life, climate, and geographic features.

        ?Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for
        leisure, lonely for contemplation, it beckons not merely north and
        south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.?
     Harold Allen

GATC Purpose

     The purpose of this organization shall be to provide for the
     protection, management and maintenance of the Appalachian National
     Scenic Trail, associated side trails, and designated trails primarily
     within the state of Georgia; to bring together persons interested in
     hiking and camping and to conduct outings for their recreation and
     enjoyment; to foster in its members and in the general public an
     appreciation of the outdoors; to teach and encourage  public
     observation of conservation ethics; to collect and publish information
     concerning regions of interests to hikers in Georgia; to encourage the
     preservation of wilderness areas; to provide such advice and
     assistance as may be requested by the Appalachian Trail Conference,
     Inc; and to encourage and assist the national and state governments in
     preservation and conservation of our forest and natural resources.

     I don't normally follow these discussion groups; please respond via
     private email if you can help.  Thanks in advance!

     Regards,

     Brian Jernigan