Andrew H Derbyshire <$AHD@CLVM>
Sat, 08 Nov 86 18:21:06 EST
I'm glad Eric is having a quiet weekend; so far I have locked myself out
of my apartment, had my girlfriend throw the rose I gave her out the
window at me in rage, and have gotton dropped from a dial-in port six
times times in one hour.

I think the point of Eric's comment is not that RSCS (or JES2 or UUCP)
is the best networking tool, but rather that if someone is the master
operator of a system then that person should be able to control the
resources of that system.  It's sad when someone doesn't even know a
resource that they should control exists, but I have seem similar
problems before.

Case in point: a data center I worked in converted from running RJE via
a 4341 to the corporate data center to a 4341 running MVS; two years
later, when we converted the backup line we kept to the corporate data
center from bisync RJE to SNA NJE, the corporate data center operators
*still* kept starting our old primary line instead of the backup line or
the NJE line.  That NJE line didn't just appear; why weren't the operators
instructed on the proper procedure?

I think maybe future conversations on this topic should be moved to the
LINKFAIL list (which I'm not on, thank IBM!) or the bit bucket...  the
ops will never learn anyway.

                           Drew Derbyshire

                           Clarkson University Class of 1987

p.s. I got the girl to calm down and I carry extra keys in my wallet;
     not if they would only fix the dial-in ports. . .
                            ahd