Mike Whitt <VMSP@NCSUVM>
Fri, 20 May 88 16:17:22 EST
>REPLY TO 05/19/88 10:56 FROM [log in to unmask] "Revised LISTSERV forum":
>New list CONFER-L
>
>Mike,
>
>I'm not at all sure what you're trying to do with your "conferencing
>system".  Just what do you mean by that phrase?  Are you trying to
>add a sort of conference call type of interaction on top of
>LISTSERV? ...
Electronic conferencing is generally defined as interactive messaging
on a network of computers.

I used LISTSERV as an example of distributing or peering information.
Also, I think a LISTSERV list in conjunction with interactive messaging
would enhance the conference. More detailed, long-winded exhortations
are better suited to the written word.

> ...       Are you aiming at just your own campus or would
>conferences span the network.  ...

I intend to span the the entire universe, except for that part that
is receding at the speed of light.

> ...                           You make references to stripped down
>RELAY code but for those of us who aren't on VM machines that's

After talking with good (in the technical sense) RELAY people, I am
more inclined to use a stripped-down RELAY, than multiple virtual machines.

>never been an option.  Will non-VM machines be able to tie into your
>conference by going thru another host?  Personally I wouldn't want
>to see the development of a network wide conference facility that
>excluded non-VM nodes.

I am not an MVS person.  If MVS people want to tie-in, I would think
a good MVS system programmer might take the challenge.  This is a first
try, a beta version.  I cannot take into account all the varying cpu's
in BITNET, Internet, etcNET.

>/June

Mike Whitt.  [log in to unmask]
VM Systems Programmer.