Virginia Metze <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Aug 1995 16:29:20 CST

> If we could prove that there was an intent to harass I would love to
> make an arrest for spamming. I think that there is a need for legislation
> in this area.  The example that you give of the computer dialing
> telephone numbers would be illegal in New York state thanks to recent
> legislation that bans mass computer dialings like that regardless of
> the nature of the call.  Perhaps what is needed is legislation that
> would specifically ban spamming and make it an offense.

        I agree perfectly, but when we are not even able to
        get the purveyors of junk mail to pay enough for
        the enormous burden they put on the postal system,
        how are we going to do that?  Probably what would
        happen is just that a 'bulk rate' would be
        established on the internet.

> John H. Jordan
> UNIVPD-L listowner                                ///
> http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jjordan/           ( o o )
> +-------------------------------------------oOO--( o )--OOo-----------+

+ Virginia Metze, not speaking for anyone but herself. + "Don't lock yourself  +
+            [log in to unmask]                 +  into open systems"   +
+ "'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in a rather +     --Aaron Leonard   +
+ scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to    +                       +
+ mean,--neither more nor less.'"  Alice in Wonderland +      this             +
Putting a computer in front of a child and expecting   +      under            +
it to teach him is like putting a book under his       +   construction        +
pillow, only more expensive.                           +                       +