Mike Whitt <VMSP@NCSUVM>
Thu, 26 May 88 09:02:03 EST
>June, I think Mike is developing his conferencing system as yet another
>server, like LISTSERV or RELAY -- note his idea for both an offline
>CONFER-L and an interactive, RELAY-like CONFER-C.  As a server, it may
>be restricted (by programming limitations) to running on IBM/VM, but it
>ought to be able to also serve users on MVS and other hardware/software
>systems.
>
>/Hugh Pritchard, Systems Programming                [log in to unmask]

This is indeed the current direction of the project. Software would be
VM based, but access would be available to all sites that can message to
a VM site. We have lots of vaxes here, also; were I to exclude them,
I would receive more local heat than net-heat.

One additional note:
This project is slowing down due to another similar project speeding up.
We are developing a USER DIRECTORY here at North Carolina State,
to be peered with TUCC, UNC, and DUKE. The directory service is based
in LISTSERV and uses LISTSERV database functions on NAMES type files.
Local mods for this are to LSVDBBN, the EXEC for database inquiry
into the BITEARN NAMES file. The beta version is working; we are
working out a user friendly way for local users (in a "domain" sense)
to add their keyword info (e.g. phone:, addr:, title: etc.) to the
data base, while allowing net-wide db inquires.
(We could have based the db in SPIRES, SQL, or something, but why
 force network users into buying products when we have that "lil ol
 workaholic", Eric, "Cearn"ing out code a mile-a-minute.)

More info will be posted as both projects move forward.

Mike Whitt.  [log in to unmask]
VM Systems Programmer.
Computing Center
NC State Univ. (919) 737-2517