"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Fri, 6 May 88 02:02:23 GMT
I have been checking the LISTS database from  time to time in the last week in
an attempt  to find out  what list  would be the  first to be  assigned number
1000. Since  the list  numbers change as  old lists are  deleted, it  was very
important to catch the list just as it grasped the magic number, as the demise
of any mundane test-list could have deprived it of its title :-)

The  best is  that it  happened just  while I  was stopping  LISTSERV@CEARN to
install the new  version of the code I  had just put the final touch  to on my
test LISTSERV. A file from IRLEARN popped  up in the reader of LISTSERV during
the CARD LOAD, and was executed just as I rebooted with the new code, entering
two new lists in the database for a grand total of just 1000.

Of course, this number doesn't mean much as list numbers may be different from
one server  to the other. Well,  MARIST, BNANDP11, HEARN and  DEARN agree with
CEARN, whereas MAINE thinks DIABETES is the 1000th and HEALTH-L is the 1001th,
but it  seems to  be the only  one in  this case (I  couldn't check  the other
ones). By the way  this is a good test of the  synchronization routines: the 5
servers listed above  all have exactly 1000  lists and agree on  who is number
1000 - it seems to be working even better than I would have expected :-)

Well I guess the owners of HEALTH-L are entitled to a free (mug of beer|cup of
tea|barrel of vodka|glass  of water) - choose one according  to your religious
convictions - the next time we meet. Ooops, I realize I forgot to add a can of
coke to my list - let's just pray that Joe Chester doesn't see it :-)

  Eric

Ref# Listname Nodename List title
---- -------- -------- ----------
1000 HEALTH-L IRLEARN  International Discussion on Health Research

> p all
>>> Item number 1000, dated 88/05/05 -- ALL
*  International Discussion on Health Research
*
*  Review= Public    Subscription= Open         Send= Public
*  Notify= Yes       Ack= No                    Files= No
*  Reply-to= List,Respect
*  Notebook= Yes,G,Monthly,Public
*  Validate= All commands
*  Confidential= No
*  Mail-Via= Distribute
*
*  Owner=  [log in to unmask] Jill Foster
*  Owner=  CARRICK@IRLEARN Kieran Carrick
*