Jim Serwinowski <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:26:13 -0500
Thanks Peter. And I bet if you look at the Date: line, that has spaces too!

Now here's the real interesting part: In pine 4.05 in full header mode,
*ALL* the lines (Date:, To:, From:, Subject:) have spaces. In fact, they all
line up with the "Content-Type:"

An example, from my pine 4.05:

Date:         Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:01:38 -0500
Sender:       Test List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Jim Serwinowski <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      testing
To:           [log in to unmask]

I think we can safely say that Listserv is definately adding spaces, but
somehow different mail clients seem to display it differently, either in
full header mode or not (Outlook Express).

Now the question is why, and I think I have the answer - It's for the
archives. The html code for the messages in the archives uses <pre> tags
to format the header of the message so that it all lines up, like it's
been tabbed. Take a look and you'll see everything is spaced out to line up
with "Content-Type: ". Since they use <pre> tags and not tables, the only way
to do that is with extra spaces.

So to answer John's original question:

"Anyone want to venture an opinion on why the spaces are being prepended?"

I'm going with - "To make the web archives look nice and pretty."

However, I believe this is a bad idea, especially for the Outlook Express
folk. If indeed the web archives are the reason behind it, they can do the
same effect with tables instead of <pre> tags and save people some headaches.

-Jim

--
Jim Serwinowski                 [log in to unmask]
UB Listserv Administrator       http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu