Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Nov 1991 12:11:31 EST
On Sat, 16 Nov 1991 19:07:02 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>On Sat, 16 Nov 1991 12:41:39 EST Stan Horwitz <OASIS@TEMPLEVM> said:
>
>>This exec would transfer all of the files from that userid to my class D
>>postmaster  account.  It would  than  receive  those  files into  a  new
>>notebook. This  notebook would contain all  of the mail sitting  in that
>>person's reader.  The exec  would than  send the file  back to  the user
>>along with a separate note explalining what happened.
>
>Well it's up  to you since these  are your users, but  since you asked...
>
>Anyway I don't understand  why this is such a problem  for you, since you
>are running  VM/XA and  you can  have as many  files as  you want  in the
>spool. The only thing  that should matter is how many  files there are in
>the RSCS  spool, unless  of course  you are indeed  getting close  to the
>spool file limit defined in HCPSYS.

I  am not  the systems  analyst for  Templevm.   I was  told that  it was  not
possible for us to store > 10000 reader  files at any one time.  This info was
probably given to me  prior to our upgrade to VM/XA though.  Is  there a way I
can check  to see exactly  what the maximum number  of reader files  that this
sysem can  store?  Since  I only manage  Listserv from home  at night  and the
systems  people never  check their  e-mail  here, it  is difficult  for me  to
communicate with them  so I would really like  to know how I can  find out how
many reader files this system can store and  how many more it could store if a
system modification were made.  Any help on this is appreciated.

By the way,  I have almost completeld  my litle Rexx program.  I  can now type
MAILMNG userid  and it will  merge all of that  person's class M  reader files
into a single packed notebook which is  returned to the user's reader.  I plan
on including a  feature which will also  send a mail file  which explains what
was done  and how  to read the  mail from this  notebook.  This  addresses the
problem of non-technical people having  difficulty with the new procedure.  We
also support only one mail program on this machine so that isn't a problem.

I also  have a  SAS program which  prepares a snapshot  report of  reader file
usage.  I will use  this report to determine which users  have too many reader
files.  Anyone  who wants a copy  of this SAS  program can send me  e-mail.  I
will also be glad to send anyone a copy of my MAILMNG EXEC when it's finished.
I have a few tiny things to add to MAILMNG before it is ready for use.

Stan Horwitz
Listserv Postmaster
Temple University
Acknowledge to: OASIS@TEMPLEVM (or VM.TEMPLE.EDU)