Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Greg Dietrich <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Feb 2015 01:31:39 +0000
text/plain (62 lines)
That pricing sounds about right (meaning: exorbitant); from the budget person/buyers perspective, the recurring fees and charges for per-user, per-mailing etc. are to be feared, but the poison is sweetened with promotional specials or a well-advertised low cost start-up. Just business, I guess.

I hadn't thought about LISTSERV as a file server for photos or other media... it certainly accommodates photos and other objects in the archives. I tested one release (16.0a?) by creating a single post with complex HTML, many links, 5 PDF files, several MS Office files including spreadsheet and Word document and a 10 MB Windows high-def movie --- it was swallowed whole by LISTSERV without complaint and that post and each attachment continue to be accessible today. (btw if you try this you'll need to be sure to get your ISP or network mail support, then disable LISTSERV's SITE mail template, the name of which escapes me, that limits size... one or more site configuration variables had to be temporarily suspended, too.)

Your last point about "secure" file sharing I can't address. To me, " secure" means to prevent access but you want to share the photos, right?

We have SSL enforced browsing (https:) and password login, so that may be what you're referring to.  We have taken other steps to harden our server that have been successful. 

Greg

Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 4:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Interface Issues

I've been exploring other solutions too with an eye on
a forums/listserv combination.  I'm a photographer and
videographer also, so I appreciate being able to share
other kinds of media,, photos, video, etc.  I'd like to
evolve beyond plain text but still have posts sent out
and archived on a listserv for those who just feel
comfortable with email.  http://socious.com/  offers
that for $6,500 start-up and you need a minimum of
500 users,, for a monthly fee of $2.50 per user per
month.  ( I'm in the wrong business )  Does the latest
version of L-Soft offer more secure file sharing,, for
photos and such,,?

Ron

Sent: Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: Interface Issues

Ron,

Think about taking up a collection or some sort of creative future financing. LISTSERV 15 is a kluge in comparison to the current version. I remember that I didn't even like the LISTSERV web interface until 15.5 - - and 16.0 release  was a tremendous improvement in functionally and ease of use for everybody -- first time subscribers and site maintainers, as well.  I think the hosting solutions (I don't mean just L-Soft's) are overpriced.

Just my 2.5 cents.

Greg

Greg Dietrich
SCO ListServ Administrator
Office of the California State Controller

Email: GDietrich @ sco.ca.gov

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTSRV-L list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTSRV-L&A=1

ATOM RSS1 RSS2