Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 16:02:50 +0100
I have just sent out beta 1.7f-2, which contains a couple minor fixes and
quite a lot  of internal changes required to support  LISTSERV in non-NJE
environments.  Sometimes I  had  to dual-path  and add  extra  code in  a
separate  routine which  would never  get called  by BITNET  servers, but
sometimes  I found  that changing  an algorithm  would handle  both cases
without dual-pathing, and this has to be tested carefully. In particular,
the routines that send NJE files to  users have been modified a lot. This
code has been running on SEARN for about 48h before being distributed.

I am also looking  for a beta-test site for the  version of LISTSERV that
can work without NJE/BITNET. To  avoid any misunderstanding, I would like
to repeat that,  out of solidarity with CREN and  its associate networks,
this  version will  be licensed  at  a yearly  fee roughly  equal to  the
average BITNET membership fee, so that  there can be no economical reason
to drop from  BITNET and then license  LISTSERV on the side.  A site that
helps me develop this version would of course get a free license, but for
a limited duration - say 6 to  12 months initially, perhaps renewed if it
turns out  a long-lasting  involvement is more  efficient/productive. The
ideal beta-test site is  connected to BITNET (so we don't  have to put up
with encoded SMTP  transfer), but has another system with  a lot of users
which  does not  have BITNET  connectivity. That  site should  have prior
experience with LISTSERV and must be willing to spend quite a lot of time
in the first month or so reporting problems and installing fixes, as I do
expect a lot of minor problems.

  Eric