Randy Klumph <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 13:44:05 -0700
(Reply from Randy Klumph)

  - Hiler, John wrote:
>The best thing to do is follow the install instructions for UNIX from
>Lsoft.
>Do you have staff that knows UNIX?

Unix knowledge among "worker staff" is limited. More knowledge at the
Admin level, but they would not be involved.

- Ben Parker wrote:
>If you have a stable LISTSERV installation running on Windows, why
>even
>consider this?

The university is consolidating computing services and have been
centralizing individual dept services. The Solaris has significantly
more resources (storage, RAID, fiber optics, etc.) and campus computing
suggested moving LSV to their location. They are less likely to do so
however, if it means more work for them. They do not want any part of
administrating LSV, only housing it. It sounds like I can make a strong
case to keep it where it is given the above and the additional
licensing of $1000 + a $1000 migration fee.

Michael Loftis wrote:
>You could also automate the whole thing with GNU make and cron with a
>properly written Makefile

And therein lies the crux of my argument to computing services. Since I
am Solaris/Unix illiterate, the above will require

1. I learn what the heck that means and how to do it
2. They learn what the heck that means and how to do it

Neither scenario is likely. Thanks for the information.

Regards,
Randy Klumph

Western Oregon University
Teaching Research Institute