Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:37:18 +1100
> + Notice the extra garbage some mail agent (server or
> client?) has inserted in
> + the 'To:' field.  Email that he sent to me directly didn't
> have the extra
> + characters, it only seems to manifest itself when sending
> to LISTSERV.  Has
> + anyone else seen this behaviour before?
>
> I've seen variants of 'bad translations' before (actually,
> the last one
> last week) where some but not all adressess were incorrectly converted
> from one mail domain (X.400) to the other (RFC822) and hence became
> unreplyable on the RFC822 side. In all these cases it was (uhh, is) a
> badly configured gateway. I'm not sure however this is the case here,
> Chris might have a lead with the addressbook entry suggestion.

Curioser & curioser...

I asked the user how he entered the address and he responded that he'd
copied & pasted between an old email into a new one.  Something else I
noticed when I got his reply was that the 'X-mailer:' entry was different.
In the first offending one the x-mailer was Novell Groupwise 5.5.3.  In
subsequent messages that reached me without problem the x-mailer is listed
as Internet Mail Service (5.5.2650.21).  I don't know if that has anything
to do with it.

I suppose I should note that this person's organisation sits behind the
Secure Gateway Enterprise which is basically a huge multi-tiered ISP for the
Australian Government.  As you may have noticed, I mentioned in my first
post that the problem message made no less than nine hops (7 of which
bounced around inside the SGE, with at least three Postfix installations)
before reaching me.  I know that intermediary mail servers aren't supposed
to add/change anything in the mail header but this makes me wonder.

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.