Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Feb 1993 16:00:49 EST
> LOGyymmdd  is 9  characters long,  plus having  that many  notebook files
> would make a lot of LISTSERV functions inefficient. Why do you need daily
> notebooks? If it is  because the list is really very  active, you can use
> the SIZE(nnn) option to say how many lines are allowed.
>
>   Eric

Obviously the names could be shortened.  The reason the list owner
wants daily notebooks is to make it easier to find things.  At this
point, you'll probably tell me to use data base and you'll be right.  I
do want to educate the people involved on how to do that.  The only
trouble is that it's hard to remember if you don't use it enough.  Sort
of a chicken and egg problem.  Also, some people may wish to FTP in for
the archives, rather than using email.

Within reason, I am more interested in giving people what they want,
rather than the efficiency of LISTSERV.

The lists in question are not for general discussion.  One is for
logging of changes, another is for logging, and the third is for
users to report problems.