Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:09:37 -0500
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:59:43 CST, Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>  said:

> > A certain large aerospace firm has subscribers on the SAS-L list, and
> > I would (as postmaster) get bounced mail from their corporate mail hub,
> > notifying me that 'such and such' a message had been bounced as spam.
>
> Why would it go to the postmaster, unless the offending address was invalid?
> Seems you would want the auto-message to go to the poster.

*GAAK*. No.  I get *enough* total cow-manure bounces from broken mailers
that bounce back to the RFC822 From: address instead of the RFC821 return-path.

Person posts to sas-l, listserv sends it out with a return-path of
[log in to unmask]  Site bounces it, it goes back to owner-sas-l,
which gets directed to Listserv.  Listserv fails to parse the bounce
message, and hands it off to the actual list owner (me).

Working as designed, more or less.  I probably got unclear when I
mentioned it going to me as postmaster - it's actually 'going to me as
list owner', courtesy of local policy that leaves the postmaster (me)
the owner for a lot of lists that would otherwise be ownerless..

/Valdis