"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 00:09:55 -0600
At 2:24 PM -0600 12/10/96, Peter M. Weiss wrote:
>What is not clear to me is if the DISTRIBUTE MAIL bounces
>w/o a clear source of the problem child, why is it that the
>PROBE feature will be any better in revealing that same
>problem?  Won't the FROM: be just as easily managled,
>hidden?

Not necessarily.  The PROBE feature's custom SMTP "MAIL FROM:" address
encodes the original destination in a way that mailers are less likely to
rewrite (since they aren't likely to recognize it as the destination
address).  If they mangle it so badly that the error is unreturnable, they
probably do the same thing to the return addresses on the real mailings and
the real errors aren't reaching you anyway.

Mark R. Williamson