Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 00:42:08 -0600
On Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:07:00 -0400, Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>The point was that
>sometimes lists are not used for voluntary discussions where the List
>Owner should have total access to the subscribership.

This has been an internal discussion of late, i.e. having lists which people
cannot unsubscribe from or change their options etc. (common in many corporate
situations).  Our view is that such mailings should not be handled by a LISTSERV
'list' in the usual sense at all but via DISTRIBUTE jobs from a static list
maintained outside the normal LISTSERV environment.  (Or via a LISTSERV list to
which certain people have add/remove access but other people have only the
ability to send messages when necessary.)  This can easily accomodate all the
requirements of security, access, control, etc.  These kind of lists are almost
never used for discussion but only for one-way announcements.