Al Iverson <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:31:52 -0600
Jacob Haller wrote:

> >Say, I'm doing a distribute job for somebody, and the copy they used has
> >some indented spaces.
> >For example, an indent of 3 spaces when following up a bullet point
> >(actually a dash) in plain text.
> >
> >Also, they built a wacky text-graphic header with a line indented by a
> >couple dozen spaces.
> >
> >An example just like it is below.
> >
> >When I run the distribute job the spaces get removed, so that the
> >indented lines are no longer intended.

Hey guess what (at least I admit when I'm completely wrong and stupid!),
it was my shell script that was mucking up the formatting. It's eating
leading spaces, for some reason I have yet to figure out. I *know* tried
sending the job from Windoze as well as unix, and I thought that one
also showed the problem. I must have been smoking crack though, because
it works if I don't run it through that shell script (even if I still
send it from unix).

Then again, I'm on a mac at home, perhaps there's some additional
client-side viewing oddity on whatever version of Outlook I have at work.

(Why do I use a shell script? Because we send multi-part mime emails for
clients, containing an if-then statement for an AOL version, so
essentially each email has three parts. Clients want to see a test copy
of each part before it mails, so I wrote a series of scripts to pull the
multipart-mime email apart and build three separate test emails and send
them. Beats doing it by hand each time.)

Best,
Al Iverson

--
Al Iverson -- http://www.radparker.com -- Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Support Minnesota Jazz -- Disclaimer: All of my opinions are mine alone.