Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 19:19:01 -0400
[Adam Floro]
> Is there a  way  for a user  to unsub  themselves from  a  list after the
> hostname of  their email address has  changed?   For example, suppose I'm
> subscribed to a  list as [log in to unmask] and am  now [log in to unmask]  I need  to
> unsub  [log in to unmask] from the  list.  How can this  be done without sending
> pleas to the list owner or listserv manager?  Could I (acting as listserv
> postmaster) issue "FOR [log in to unmask] UNSUB listname"?

Well, you can do it as postmaster (or at  least I can  as postmaster on our
LISTSERV),  and also the  user can do it by   telneting to port  25 on your
system and forging   some mail from  the  old  address.  Even  if  LISTSERV
generates a confirmation  ("OK") request,  this will work  as  long as mail
sent to the old address still gets to the new address -- the user will just
have to forge the OK as well, inserting the correct cookie.

Norm
--
"Stolen painting found by tree"