Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 May 2007 11:52:41 -0400
On 5/4/2007 07:19, Eric Thomas wrote:
>> I like the concept of embedded keyword files, but the lack of a method
>> to force
>> LISTSERV to flush cached files tends to reduce its usefulness. (...)
>> L-Soft needs to provide a direct method to force LISTSERV to flush
>> cached files.
>
> But this is done automatically, and only for lists that do use .IK, when you
> update the KEYWORDS file using the PUT command. If you just zap the disk
> file using a text editor on the LISTSERV host, the change is not seen and
> the headers are not flushed.

The LISTSERV 15.0 Site Manager's Manual contains the following statement:

	Note: On some servers it may be necessary to stop and restart
	LISTSERV (or do a GET+PUT of all of the list headers involved)
	to make changes to the KEYWORDS file appear. This is because
	LISTSERV may have the KEYWORDS file and/or the list headers
	that use it cached at the time you modify it.

The documentation provides no information that would enable a site manager to
determine whether this restriction applies to his/her system. Without this
information, one can only assume that the restriction applies. To assume
otherwise and act on that assumption would be folly.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team