Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 09:13:55 CDT
On Mon, 14 Aug 1995 19:41:48 -0400 Lee Silverman said:
>At 5:40 PM 8/14/95, Chris Barnes wrote:
>
>> We very nearly lost ALL Lsoft products for this
>>year because the unix bigots tend to love the freebe products (never
>>mind performance).  $550 isn't a 'only costs' here anymore.  It gets
>>compared to other software that's free (fair or not).
>
>        The only freebie that can remotely compare to Listserv is listproc
>6.0c.  I have used both, and am now VERY much in the listserv camp.

I should say that you're preaching to the choir here.  *I* understand
why Listserv is so much better.  *I* absolutely detest even subscribing
to non-Listserv lists, much less ever trying to be a listowner or (even
worse) maintainer of the server.

But the real problem we're having here is in these times of budgetary
contraints - getting them to accept the idea that *any* listserver is a
worth while endevor is more difficult than in times past.  I don't
think we're alone; alot of sites are starting to develop a "screw the
rest of the world; if it doesn't benefit us directly, we don't care"
attitude.  I should say that this doesn't just affect Listserv -
it affects other areas of being a part of the Internet (ie. Web servers,
Gopher, etc.).  There are folks that would nuke them all.

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)
http://tamvm1.tamu.edu/~cbarnes/

   "I am in the greater danger before God when I know clearly what
    He wants me to do, but willfully & defiantly refuse to obey."
                     - Dr. James Dobson   (ref: James 4:17)