Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 08:39:43 EST
Under unix, no, because SMTP_FORWARD= is set to the local machine by
default (I believe it actually defaults to the value of NODE= unless you
have the special variable SMTP_HOSTNAME= defined, but I don't have the
code in front of me; either way it shouldn't be necessary to define
SMTP_FORWARD= under unix).  Under Windows, on the other hand, you do
have to define SMTP_FORWARD= when defining SMTP_FORWARD_n=, because
if you don't there is no fallback host defined for use if asynchronous
delivery fails.  I need to note this difference in the manuals, although
it makes no practical difference under unix if you go ahead and define
SMTP_FORWARD= in go.user when adding SMTP_FORWARD_n= asynchronous workers.

FWIW (I saw your other message) this -is- similar to what ASYNCH_SMTP=1 does
but it allows you to tune asynchronous delivery by adding more than one
asynchronous delivery connexion.  ASYNCH_SMTP was added primarily for
demonstration purposes (to show that sendmail was usually the bottleneck
in situations where LISTSERV was slow to process commands), whereas
SMTP_FORWARD_n is the supported method for handling asynchronous outbound
delivery.  You'll note that ASYNCH_SMTP isn't documented :)

Nathan