Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 May 1994 14:34:07 EDT
Hello folks;

Maybe someone can  suggest a way for  me to manage the notebooks  for about 3
dozen Listserv lists  which are run off this system.  Currently, I am running
version  1.7f, but  as  soon as  the  paperwork gets  processed,  we will  be
acquiring the latest  version of Listserv. About once a  year, the Listserv's
191 disk gets dangerously full of text  from notebooks. In order to avoid any
problems, I just went through and deleted  a few of those notebooks for lists
which I consider  not highly critical to  anyone. Now, the disk  is about 70%
full  so I  need to  do some  more house  cleaning. As  I was  doing this,  I
thought up a couple of ideas that are worth posting here.

My first idea is that it would be  nice if each Listserv postmaster can see a
report  on notebook  utilization.  This  report would  be  fairly simple.  It
would look  sort of like the  STATS output except  it would be for  an entire
Listserver  rather  than for  individual  groups.  The report  would  contain
information about  each notebook and  how many  times it was  requested. With
this info,  I can look to  see which notebooks  go a long time  without being
requested and delete those and leave the requested ones alone.

Another idea is  to have a mechanism for deleting  notebooks for postmasters.
The way  I do  it is to  do a filelist  of each  list's notebooks. I  then go
throug and delete  notebooks for lists that are older  than about six months.
I  also pick  on lists  here which  I feel  are not  very important  to their
subscribers.  Having  a better  way  of  managing  notebooks would  be  nice.

Another idea  is to have an  option for each  list to have the  notebooks for
previous months compressed so they take  up less DASD space. Perhaps the good
old PACK option on the COPYFILE command could be used for this purpose on the
CMS  version of  Listserv.  The active  notebook, of  course,  should not  be
compressed until  a new  notebook is started.  Unfortunately, this  will make
ldbase  searches  more time  consuming  since  I  guess the  notebooks  being
searched  would  have  to  be   uncompressed  prior  to  being  searched  and
recompressed at  the end  of the  ldbase job.  This compression  of notebooks
idea would, however,  save a lot of  space on my Listserv's  200 cylinder 191
disk and all the other Listservs too.

In any event, any suggestions on how to deal with notebooks and housecleaning
of Listserv will be appreciated.

Thanks for all your time.

Stan Horwitz
Listserv Postmaster