Ross Patterson <A024012@RUTVM1>
Wed, 12 Nov 1986 11:35:07 EST
    Since it appears  that LISTSERV is going to have  at least as much
file server funtion as NETSERV, perhaps it should go a little farther.
One of my pet peeves about  NETSERV is resolution: It sees only files,
not  groups  of files.   One  of  the  much-touted features  of  GRAND
(available Real Soon Now ;-) ) is  the concept of a "package", i.e.  a
set of files,  which can be subscribed  to and gotten as  a unit.  For
example, I  would expect  a set  of files, known  as CHAT  PACKAGE, to
include:

  CHAT     EXEC
  CHAT     HELPCMS
  CHAT     MODULE
  CHATDISC EXEC
  CHATFILT EXEC

    Then I could simply TELL LISTSERV GET CHAT PACKAGE, and have all 5
files  sent to  me.   Similarly,  I could  TELL  LISTSERV INFORM  CHAT
PACKAGE, and  be told when any  of the constituent files  are added or
replaced.  I could  also TELL LISTSERV SUBSCRIBE CHAT  PACKAGE to have
it send  me those files  automatically.  You  could say that,  in this
case, the  *whole* package should be  sent when any of  it's files are
added or replaced, but I think that would be overkill.

    It shouldn't be too hard to  add, in fact I've always wondered why
NETSERV didn't have  it.  Since LISTSERV is growing up  to be the next
generation of NETSERV, I think this is an important feature.

Ross