Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 May 1998 22:17:40 -0600
At 02:54 PM 5/27/98 -0400, Sparger, Bill wrote:
>We have lists for each of our departments and each list contains all the
>faculty for that
>department as a subscriber. On occasion a faculty member has sent and
>will need
>to send an email posting to multiple lists but is being locked out for
>48 hours because
>LISTSERV has determined the posting to be a SPAM, when in fact it's not.

Well, it IS a spam, but it is an "appropriate spam".  We have a policy on
that at BSU, that it must be approved by a VP or Dean before posting, and
must contain name of the approver, so you know who to complain to if you
don't think it is OK.

Easiest way to do this is to simply have people slightly change the item
and post each version to a small number of lists, say ten.  No one knows
how many is too many, but I wouldn't do a dozen.  The changes can be minor,
as in changing "this was approved by Joe Blow" to "this was approved by
Joseph A. Blow, Ph.D." or something equally inoccuous.  You can leave the
main text the same.  Or change the subject line slightly.

I see this regularly on my lists.....many job postings are posted to MANY
library lists (way too many in my opinion, but.....) and people do this
with them.....just change something slightly.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/