Will Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 May 1997 09:24:57 EST
We are having a problem with daily digest distribution on several lists.
I think this started several weeks ago while I was on vacation and
disk space was exhausted on the LISTSERV 191 minidisk. I received
my first complaint from a list owner yesterday.

We are currently running Listserv 1.8a on VM/ESA 1.2.2. The lists
in question have NOTEBOOK= specified but no explicit DIGEST=
option. They have been working this way for a long time.

Some of the daily digests are being distributed and some are not.
One that has not been distributed is up to 1696 lines now.

Does anyone know of a likely reason that this is happening? Since it
appears to have started after a 'disk full' condition, is there some
key file that could have been truncated? The 'DIGESTS FILE' would
seem to be a suspect, but does not appear to normally have entries for each
file that is a digest candidate.

I looked through the archives, and found a post from Eric several years
ago indicating that this could happen because of memory shortages. Our
LISTSERV is currently running in a 12M ESA mode machine. Is this a
possible memory problem?

I also examined the list and it appears that the user settings
requesting a daily digest are intact.

I inherited the listserv maintainer function last year and this
is the first time I've had a problem with digests. Is there a way to
'kick start' a daily digest and force LISTSERV to send it out?

Thanks for any help on this.

Will Johnson                        System Administrator
Purdue University Computing Center  Computing Services Division
1408 Math Building Room 236         Internet: [log in to unmask]
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1408       Phone: (765) 496-8239 Fax: (765) 494-0566