Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 May 1997 21:16:12 EDT
> I'm the listserv node maintainer at JavaSoft. I want to proactively
> monitor the listserv.log for possible errors. Is there a listing
> of the different error messages that get written out to the log?
> Better yet, has somebody already written a script which monitors
> the listserv.log?  I've already had lists "frozen" because of
> the daily message threshold being exceeded. I'd like to be notified
> when this happens, so I can fix it as soon as possible. I'd like
> to know of other messages to look out for. There are some listed in
> the FAQ, but does a more extensive listing exist?
> Thanks.

There's a description of the LISTSERV log messages in the Site
Manager's Operations Manual (Chapter 9).  We wrote a program to produce
daily statistics from the log.  It also checks for LISTSERV command
processor mail loops.

The program is available via anonymous FTP from ftp.cu.nih.gov,
directory raf, file name lsvstats.zip (binary) or lsvstats.uue
(uuencoded text).  Do not use a web browser to do the FTP, as this host
does not support passive mode FTP (which web browsers use).  Do use
binary mode for the ZIP file or text mode for the UUE file.  The
program is written in Perl.  We'd appreciate your giving us back any
changed versions you develop.

As far as lists being held for exceeding the Daily Threshold, LISTSERV
already sends an email notice about that to the list owner.