Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 12:28:48 EDT
On Sat, 7 Aug 1999 12:49:10 -0400 (EDT) Lee Irwin said:
>We would like to limit the number of lines a single message can have.
>Can't find this in the manual.  How do we do this?

The default limit is 100K lines.  For an individual list you can
limit this by using the Sizelim= list header keyword.  At the server
level it is controlled by two configuration variables:  FILEMAXL
(which should not be lowered to less than the default of 100K) and
MAILMAXL (which defaults to the value of FILEMAXL and which is considered
obsolete on all but VM-NJE (BITNET) servers).

L-Soft's recommendation is to limit message length using the Sizelim=
list header keyword rather than using the FILEMAXL or MAILMAXL site-level
variables.  For one thing, a message rejected due to Sizelim= is reported
to the original sender, who then has the option of reposting a smaller
message.  If the message is rejected due to FILEMAXL or MAILMAXL
constraints, only the site maintainer is notified, which can lead to
"Why didn't my message appear on the list?" complaints that can be
difficult to answer if you aren't the site maintainer :)

In any case we absolutely do not recommend using the MAILMAXL variable
to limit message length server-wide unless you are a VM-NJE site with
the particular BITNET-specific problem that MAILMAXL was designed to
alleviate.  Unix and NT sites (and most if not all VMS sites these days)
by definition do not have this problem.

Nathan