"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:51:46 EDT
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:50:14 -0400 Moore, Terry A. said:
>I am running Listserv and LMAIL on a VM box and delivering list traffic
>through a VM SMTP server.  The SMTP server is having trouble with delivery
>to one of our internal mail sites and I'd like to see if using a second SMTP
>server on the VM box would fix the problem.  Can anyone quickly/easily tell
>me how LMAIL decides which SMTP virtual machine to send mail to?

LSMINST MEMO documents the format of the DOMAIN TABLE.

>I tried switching smtp names in the DOMAIN TABLE file, but outbound mail
>still went to the original smtp server.

The following is a single line in my DOMAIN TABLE, which says

.DEFAULT: MARIST SMTPOUT BSMTP NETDATA  NETDATA O=LISTSERV@MARIST
  S=SMTPL1,SMTPL2

Send fault traffic to the VM userid SMTPOUT on NJE node MARIST, using
BSMTP and NETDATA FORMAT, override email from LISTSERV and send it
to SMTPL1 and SMTPL2 in a round robin.  You could have a single
S=SMTPL1

If it is only email to a given node, you could also have a
separate entry in for that node.  For example, we have a separate
SMTP for email to AOL, since we can handle them when they
start doing funny things.  That line looks like

.AOL.COM MARIST SMTPAOL BSMTP NETDATA

>Terry A. Moore
/ahw