Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Tue, 16 Jan 90 12:06:33 CST
   We recently mentioned on NEW-LIST@NDSUVM1 that the new "Interest
Groups" list from SRI-NIC (NIC.DDN.MIL) was available for searching
here with the LISTSERV DATABASE facilities.  Someone asked how we did
that and I promised to mention it to LSTSRV-L in case anyone wants to
use what we have.

   While the DATABASE facility of LISTSERV is easy to use for established
file types, it did not appear so easy to extend it  (Eric was kind enough
to offer me some correspondence on the subject but I don't read French... ;-).
So I decided to take the easy way out and simply make the Internet Interest
Groups list look like a Notebook.

   I defined a list called INTGROUP (definition below) with a single
public notebook.  Then each time the Interest Groups list is updated I
simply convert the list to a notebook with each item looking like a
separate mail item in the notebook.  The user can then search that and
print individual items.  I did it the simple way and didn't consider
if it might be better to have each item in a separate file, etc.
Others have suggested the LISTS database should be extended but again,
that appeared to me more work... ;-)  I think others have put this into
SPIRES and such (or at least talked about it).

   I would be glad to share the REXX exec I use to convert the file
(no promises) or, if you have access to FTP you can simply FTP to
VM1.NoDak.EDU (134.129.111.1) and CD LISTARCH then get
intgroup.notebook . The original file is available from SRI-NIC
(NIC.DDN.MIL) or on our system (CD BITINFO, get interest.groups).
(The files are large but we could probably use BITSEND or something if
you want a copy that way...).

   I make no promises about the EXEC - it is obviously sensitive to the way
Rich Zellich formats the file - but being REXX it is pretty easy to hack
even my weird code.

   The steps I now follow each time the list of lists is updated (usually
a couple times a year?) is:

   1.  Get the whole file via anonymous FTP (from NIC.DDN.MIL).  We make
       this available for anonymous FTP from here too.

   2.  I xedit the file usually to expand the tabs to standard UNIX
       spacing and also to change square brackets to "<>" (some 3270
       terminals don't display the square brackets well).

   3.  Then I run my simple INTMAKE exec to insert separators and pseudo
       header entries to make the file look like a mail notebook.

   4.  I put this notebook on the public notebook disk and refresh the
       database for it (eg. TELL LISTSERV DATABASE REFRESH INTGROUP).

   5.  I usually announce the availability via NEW-LIST in conjunction with
       Rich's announcement of a new list of lists.

   I am willing to share the notebook and/or the INTMAKE EXEC if places would
be willing to make the notebook publically available for searching and let
me know so I can include that in my info for NEW-LIST, etc.

   That way users could search a nearby copy without having to obtain the
entire list of lists.

   I have thought it would be nice to have a composite database including
LISTS, INTGROUP, NETNEWS GROUPS and mailing lists from uucp, etc...  But
that sounded like more work...  ;-)

           Marty

--------------------- Definition of Pseudo-List for INTGROUP -----------------
*
*  INTGROUP - DATABASE Searchable Copy of INTEREST GROUPS List of Lists
*  List-ID= INTGROUP
*  Review= Public    Subscription= Closed       Send= Private
*  Notify= No        Reply-to= List,Respect   Files= No
*  Validate= Store only     X-Tags= Yes         Stats= Extended,Private
*  Confidential= No         Ack= No             Formcheck= No
*  Errors-To= Owner
*
*  Notebook= Yes,L,Single,Public
*  Owner=INFO@NDSUVM1 (Marty Hoag)
*
*       ****************************************************
*       *                                                  *
*       *  INTGROUP is a dummy list to allow searching of  *
*       *  the INTEREST-GROUPS.TXT List of Lists from      *
*       *  SRI-NIC (NIC.DDN.MIL) compiled by Rich Zellich. *
*       *  You can search these entries using the DATABASE *
*       *  facilities of LISTSERV.  For more information   *
*       *  send LISTSERV the command INFO DATABASE.        *
*