Jose Maria Blasco Comellas <ZCCBJBC@EB0UB011>
Wed, 15 Apr 87 09:24:52 HOE
My idea was not  to show complete peer schemes for each list  but to allow for
queries in the form "Which LISTSERVs have  a list called IBMPC-L?" (or even "a
list matching *PC*"). Last Sunday I was chatting with a list owner who's not a
postmaster. He  was asking for  a complete list of  servers. I told  him about
PEERS NAMES, which  he was able to  GET almost immediately from  its server. I
liked  his comment:  "That's nice  for me  but completely  unreadable for  end
users".  And I  agree --  it's  like having  to BROWSE  through BITEARN  NODES
instead of  using the NODES  command. So,  I decided to  make some tests  on a
local command that was  able to reply to some simple but  useful queries. If a
user wants  to know  if there  is something  about VAXes  on LISTSERV  but his
"home" server does not have such a list, he would be able to request this info
to his server and then REV one of the indicated lists to see if it was what he
was  searching  --  (assuming  that  headers  were  informative,  which  is  a
completely different story ;-)).

Jose Maria