Oxford Eric Thomas <ET@UKACRL>
Wed, 5 Aug 1987 08:35 BST
  I hate to sound pessimistic but... The VAX/VMS MAILER always sends rejection
mail to  the FROM  field. This  is a  real pain as  you get  a bunch  of those
whenever you mail to LINKFAIL, and the list owners are not notified and cannot
remove the  faulting addresses (not that  it changes anything -  I never could
understand  whether  those "Error  opening  file,  invalid device  name  -IDEV
OPENOUT%blabla" meant "no such local user" or "coke poured in the CPU").

  Anyway this situation exists since years with those VAX mailers. Considering
the number of sites that use it (almost 100% of VAX/VMS sites), a fix would be
most welcome.  And still  nothing has been  done. Now if  you expect  the same
mailer maintainers to implement something  as complex (relatively speaking) as
an Errors-To feature, which is furthermore  NOT part of any official standard,
then I think you are being definitely unrealistic :-)

  Eric