"Russell N. Hathhorn, VM Systems Support" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Apr 1992 18:36:52 PDT
Well folks - I came to the conclusion long ago that for an active list like
STREK-L, there was no way that I could keep up the 'bouncing garbage mail'.
Consequently I shunt via Errors-to= to a separate userid that 'handles the
problem'(make that purges) this junk. I make it known in the introductory
letter sent to new subscribers (from PCCVM anyway) that any
addressing/list/???? problems have to be individually addressed to the
listowner - me.

I have had the 500+ error message inundation before, and that is why I decided
on this course of action. I use this method on my 'recreational' lists;
'professional' discussions seem to have a more stable clientele and have not
seemed to require such a 'meat axe' approach.

|   Russell N. Hathhorn                       |  Bitnet: SYSMAINT@PCCVM       |
|   VM Systems Progammer/Analyst              |  Compu$erve: 76636,1036       |
|   Portland Community College                |  Voice: (503) 244-6111 x 4705 |
|   12000 S. W. 49th Avenue                   |  Fax:   (503) 324-7010        |
|   Portland, Oregon  97219-0990              |  "     Just say NO to OCO   " |
| "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms  |
|  is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."|
|   -- Thomas Jefferson                                                       |