Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 22:34:57 -0400
At 02:08 PM 8/10/97 -0400, Mary Schweitzer wrote:
>Pete Weiss wrote:
>>
>> |Since there are lists to discuss spam, I apologize for being
>> |off-topic here.
>>
>> Stan's right ...
>>
>> Abstracted from the SPAM-L FAQ
>>
>>  http://oasis.ot.com/~dmuth/spam-l/
>>

>Stan is right and Stan is wrong.

Stan is me and I am Stan, so I'll be adding another 2 cents below.

>  This is a list for inexperienced
>listserv owners as well as all you experienced folks.  I deliberately
>sent that message thinking that perhaps a lot of us received it, and
>wanting to get technical help explaining to the other newbies on the
>list how to proceed if you do.  I am a semi-newbie; were I a total
>newbie that would have freaked the living bejeebers out of me.
>
>The information about anti-SPAM networks was very useful -- but
>it is not off-topic to show newbies the variety in which SPAM can
>appear.  This is an informational list for people of ALL types of
>experience.
>
>Not everybody would have understood that was a SPAM in the first place.
>That was part of the point.
>
>And I also wondered, though I didn't say, if the SPAM was a result of
>being on this list, or my automatic response to requests to join my
>owner-subscription lists.  Which, I would think, IS germaine to this
>list.

Mary,

You made your post, and someone else identified the thing you got as spam.
Then I made my post, which was thus possibly off-topic here.  I was merely
apologizing in advance for MY OWN post, not for yours or anyone else's.

I am sorry if you thought I was somehow criticizing your post... I was not.
Stuff happens and you can't always tell if it's list-related or not,
and I think it's quite reasonable to ask here.

So, if you thought I was somehow trying to criticize, please rest assured
that I was not, and please accept my apologies if I wasn't clear.

BTW, a couple of friends of mine got the same spam, and at least one of
them was missing a few "bejeebers" after receiving it :)

Take care,
Stan

ps - anyone contemplating a subscription to SPAM-L will want to have
mail filters... it's a *VERY* busy list.  I'm "there" but I had to
set my options to INDEX since I just don't have time for the details
these days.