Kathy Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:36:23 -0400
I was excited to see all of the responses to my post... apparently, this
subject is something many of you have given no small amount of thought.
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Some thoughts:

1) Re: expiry info in the header: unfortunately, a good chunk of our diverse
list owner population actually knows what the header is and how to change
it.  I've seen lists where owners have deleted their name, office, phone,
etc. that I insert whenever I create a list... I don't know why, considering
our web directory makes this info publicly available.  But, Murphy's Law
dictates that someone will muck up the header.

2) Re: expiry info contained in the list name: this seems to create an
awfully unappealing, and perhaps long, list name.  I'm sure some faculty
would see having enforced list names as an infringement upon their
intellectual liberty. :)

Archive dates and subscription changes seem like a good indicator of a
stagnant list (except for an unarchived list with a constant subscriber
list!).

- Kathy M.