To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask] (D. Crompton)
Subject: Re: Returned Mail???
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 90 09:40:46 EST
From: "Louis A. Mamakos" <[log in to unmask]>

Yes, I've been getting a few nasygrams back for each message that I send
to the list.  I shudder to think how many are being bounced to
[log in to unmask] that Brian has to deal with.

I run the NTP mailing list and I've been getting a little nasty lately about
broken addresses on that list.  Especially annoying are people that
redistribute the list locally, but don't hack the SMTP MAIL FROM:<> command
to supply a reasonable address for advisories to be returned to.

FYI on your UNIX/sendmail box, if you are going to redistribute a mailing
list locally, do something like this in /etc/aliases (or /usr/lib/aliases):

        mailing-list-inbound:"|/usr/lib/sendmail -fmlist-relay mlist-outbound"
        mlist-relay: postmaster
        mlist-outbound: foo, bar@baz, curly, moe, larry
        owner-mailing-list-inbound: mlist-relay
        owner-mlist-outbound: mlist-relay

This will cause most errors in the redistribution to be returned to "postmaster"
or whomever you've stuck with being on mlist-relay.  You don't want to return
errors to the original sender or worst of all, to the mailing list itself!

A lession to keep in mind before we build elaborate auto-forwarding mailing
list creatures over packet radio system where bandwidth is at a premium
right now.  And no, the solution to THIS problem is not faster modems!

louie