"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Sat, 3 Dec 88 23:02:19 GMT
>Well, it wasn't possible because some  routines reaccess the 192 as someother
>mode and then reaccess as D.

I wish there  was a "SET PGMSEARCH  diskmode ON|OFF", which would  allow me to
tell CMS never  to take any EXEC  or MODULE from the D-disk.  Not difficult to
implement, and very  useful, but unfortunately it's not there  :-( That's what
the D-to-Z-back-to-D swapping business is about.

>(DMSDDL requires a work disk as A).

That's not  true, but  DISK DUMP  does. The 192  disk is  NEVER accessed  as A
unless a DISK DUMP  file is being received. I wish you could  DISK LOAD * * D,
but re-unfortunately, you can't.

>It never  occured to me then,  but if you have  FILEDISK = 'A5' in  the LOCAL
>SYSVARS, and you  support the global LISTS database, you  will have over 1000
>file just for that on you A-disk.

It is HIGHLY UNDESIRABLE  to have the LISTS database on the  A-disk. I think I
had already stated it,  but I may have forgotten -  please accept my apologies
if it's the case.

>I haven't measured it, but I imagine that  the number of ACC 192 A, ACC 191 A
>commands done over a day add up significantly.

Not  unless you're  receiving  a large  number of  DISK  DUMP files.  However,
LISTSERV will  re-ACCESS the  191 from  time to  time, to  sort the  FST, just
because it is (sigh)  faster than making a sort in REXX  (I'm speaking about a
simple sort like the o(n**1.5) Shell-Sort,  not something that takes 100 lines
of code :-) ). That happens when you do a LIST command, for example.

>  The other  day, I  was on  the Listserv  console, and  I remembered  that I
>needed to change  a List header. I  foolishly edited it, which  I believe has
>thrown  the checksums  all off,  and  has caused  every server  to request  a
>REFRESHME from my server.

No, I edit files from the LISTSERV userid every day, and it's as good a method
as GET  + PUT *when you  know what you're  doing*. In particular, you  have to
make  sure that  new entries  don't inherit  bogus flags  in cols  81-100 from
another entry you "-ed,  that they get inserted in the  proper order, etc. But
that doesn't spoil the checksum.

I think the  error you made (if you  did indeed make one) was  when moving the
LISTS database stuff  - this could well generate an  invalid X-LUPD job, which
would get invalidated  after you fixed the database, thus  creating a checksum
error.

>I'll keep an eye on it, and report anything interesting.

Please  do keep  me informed.  There  is some  code preventing  a server  from
requesting a  REFRESHME until it got  the output from the  previous REFRESHME,
but I get  the feeling that it  doesn't always work. I'd be  interested in any
info you could provide on this.

Thanks, Eric