Nick Laflamme <DPL1646@IRISHMVS>
Wed, 11 Apr 90 09:25:00 EST
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that LISTSERV now forwards
a SUBSCRIBE request to either a node known to host the list I want to
join or to a backbone LISTSERV which might know more than it does.  So,
I sent a mail file to LISTSERV at PSUVM signing me up for one list and
specifying my name.  So far, so good.  Then I asked PSUVM to sign me up
for a lot of other lists without specifying my name.  PSUVM noticed that
it didn't peer most of those lists but propogated the requests to
LISTSERVs which do.

Each LISTSERV then started complaining that I wasn't registered there
and it didn't know the name of [log in to unmask]  I guess PSUVM just
propogated the SUBSCRIBE LSTSRV-L, for instance, without appending the
name it had for me: SUBSCRIBE LSTSRV-L Nick Laflamme.

I can see how if OHSTVMA already thought I was Dominique P. Laflamme
this might cause some unexpected side effects, but it would have been
slightly easier for me to join each new list if LISTSERV would propogate
on my behalf the name it has for me (and possibly not propogate any
requests if it doesn't know who I am).

Anyone agree that this change might be desireable?

Nick Laflamme