"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Nov 1991 18:29:09 CST
On Thu, 7 Nov 1991 18:52:00 EST John F. Chandler said:
>> The NIC says these TARLETON.EDU doesn't exist.
>
>> If they don't exist, then where do these messages/files come from ???
>
>You mean you're getting mail from there?  As of 1968 there was no
>college or university named Tarleton in either the US or Canada.  I
>don't have a more recent list handy.

Well, my 1965 Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary lists a
Tarleton State College in Stephenville, Texas, founded in 1899.

>                                      There *is* however a BITNET node
>named TARLETON.

Yup.  Its entry in BITEARN NODES says the name is now Tarleton State
University, still in Stephenville.

>                 It seems like a good bet that somebody at TARLETON has
>misconfigured their mailer in anticipation of a domain registration that
>is still in the works.

Sounds likely.

--Mark