Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 12:10:35 CDT
On Fri, 4 Aug 1995 09:22:02 EDT Peter M. WeissTRAI said:
>In article <[log in to unmask]>, Resent-From:
>Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]> says:
>>
>>Anyone got an idea on how to do this?
>
>Since they ARE students, why don't you teach them HOW to interact
>with LISTSERVs the way it was shipped out-of-the- box?  After
>all, that's how 99+% of LISTSERVs do work.

Well, quite frankly, I don't like that standard message that comes out
of the box.  I realize for a generic message, it's about as good as one
can get, but just out of habit, I create a "listname WELCOME" file
that Listserv always sends out that is specific to that list.  I just
like it better that way, and I believe the subscribers get more out of
it too.

>If you feel that you must change std.  behaviour, then the
>list-owner/-manager will need to get a copy of the DEFAULT
>MAILTPL, abstract the section that relates to the specfic
>message, and follow the instructions in the List Owner's Manual
>(output of LISTSERV command INFO OWNERS) specifically section 9.
>The editted file would then be stored in the listname's filelist
>as 'listname MAILTPL' (assuming that the list has a filelist and
>that 'listname MAILTPL' did not already exist).

It looks like what I want is a "listname MAILTPL" *instead* of a
"listname WELCOME".  Good enough.

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)
http://tamvm1.tamu.edu/~cbarnes/

  "I am in the greated danger before God when I know clearly what
   He wants me to do, but willfully & definantly refuse to obey."
                    - Dr. James Dobson   (ref: James 4:17)