Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Fri, 2 Dec 88 08:53:24 CST
>Can you explain TRAPIN further?  Could I use this to trap all
>incoming mail with a userid of UUCP, for example?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>- ERIC -

Eric Tilenius:
   This was confusing to me so I thought I would share it with the list...

   Hmmm.  The way I use TRAPIN is to prevent mail from our SMTP server
from being bounced back by LISTSERV for having bad commands.

   When SMTP sends error mail to LISTSERV it sets up a From: SMTP@... type
of address.  As I understand it, that is what LISTSERV traps.  TRAPIN and
TRAPOUT have to do with the RFC822 origin and destination.

   However, while TRAPIN is for MAIL, SERVE includes not only mail
addresses but NJE origins too!  So if I would SERVE something like
SMTP@NDSUVM1 off then EVERYTHING passed to LISTSERV by SMTP@NDSUVM1
would be transferred to the postmaster.  (That happened with MAILER
some time ago and I started to get xfers when 1.5o started enforcing
MAILER serve off!).   However, with SMTP@NDSUVM1 in the TRAPIN variable
then only mail From: SMTP@NDSUVM1 would get transferred.  Mail From: other
users being transferred by SMTP would NOT be affected.

   I think the normal defaults for TRAPIN/TRAPOUT (TRAPOUT is for sites
which should NOT receive mail) are for LISTSERV@* and NETSERV@* (ie.
LISTSERV should never send MAIL to nor accept MAIL FROM those servers.

   If this is incorrect I am sure Eric will let us know.   ;-)
He has tried to explain this to me so if the explanation is wrong it is
my fault!

   I have thought it might be good to add mmdf@* and pmdf@* to the
trapin list here but I am not sure if I really want to get all the
"mail has not been delivered for 3 days but will be tried for 9"
messages that LISTSERV is now bouncing back to the servers or not!
;-)

        Marty