"Michael R. Gettes" <CCMRG@BOSTONU>
Thu, 5 May 88 12:26:08 EDT
>Michael,
>
>    Save us  all a headache, and  simply register BOSTONU as  an alias
>for BUACCA.  In fact, register CCMRG@BUACCA as the contact for it, and
>CCMRG@BOSTONU as  an alternate contact.  LISTSERV  will recognize both
>as NAD's  for their  own systems.  Use  CCMRG@BOSTONU to  delete users
>from lists, and CCMRG@BUACCA to resubscribe them.
>
>    Even if you choose not to do  that, I'd still set up BOSTONU as an
>alias.  After  all, you're liable  to be flooded with  complaints that
>non-LISTSERV  mail  to  <fill  in  the  blank>@BOSTONU  isn't  working
>anymore.
>
>    In checking  out my first  suggestion, I noticed that  the routine
>that decides whether  or not you're a NAD (LSVNAD  EXEC) doesn't honor
>the :ALIAS tag.  It would be nice if it did, then something like
>
>   :NODE.BUACCA :ALIAS.BOSTONU :CONTACT.CCMRG@BUACCA
>
>    would  allow  "CCMRG@BUACCA" to  be  a  NAD  for both  BUACCA  and
>BOSTONU.  It's  a small  change, and  wouldn't introduce  any overhead
>except when checking for the alias_node,  or when the node in question
>doesn't exist.   Eric, is  it too late  to ask for  this one  in 1.5o?
>(I've got it done, if you want it.)
>
>Ross Patterson
>Rutgers University

I have set-up BUACCA as a new node, not an alias. As you have noticed,
listserv is one case where :alias does not cut it. BUACCA is already
set and I will be the NAD for it. However, the problem is that with
the 4,000 users - I do not know what lists these 4,000 people are
subscribed to - and no, I do not run a CMS environment where I can
poke around everyone's disks to find this out (it is unethical, in my
mind, anyway). Ross, I have done my best to not come to this
point - so as to not to cause all of you headaches. I guess this
points out a serious problem - how to manage all this. It ain't easy.
I am not faulting anyone. But a solution is needed desired here.
Otherwise, there will be headaches for everyone with all the rejected
mail that will go around and the hundreds of requests from users
to list owners to change the addresses. Believe it or not, this
idea of the exec has the least impact on the network as a whole.
It definitely affects the listserv-types, but minimally affects the
rest to whom we would have to explain all this to.
/mrg