Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 13:06:28 EDT
> I subscribe to numerous lists and I am the owner of a list server.  We use
> MS Mail with MS Mail SMTP gateway and Post.Office for NT as our Mail
> Transport Agent (MTA).
>
> I the past when I subscribed to a list the from: or reply: (I'm not sure
> which, MS Mail hides most of the header contents) was listed as the
> [log in to unmask]  About 6 months ago the from: addresses changed to
> [log in to unmask]  All of the messages from the lists now appear
> to me as [log in to unmask] except for one, LANMAN-L at
>
> If I remember properly, Eric told me at the time that MS Mail was brain dead
> (my words not his) and didn't interpret the from: address correctly.  It
> didn't make too much since to me,  just excepted it and went on at the time.
>
> It doesn't make since to me for 3 reasons:
>      1) It worked fine at first and we haven't upgraded our MS Mail for 2+
> years.
>      2) It appeared to me that it happened when people started using the
> newest version of listserv 1.8x.
>      3) All of them changed except LANMAN-L
>
> Why are they showing up as owner-listname and not as listname?
> Why didn't LANMAN-L change when the others did?
> Is there a command, setting or file that I can edit on our list server to
> have our lists appear as listname instead of owner-listname?
> Is there a setting in our MTA to have it change them to listname instead of
> owner-listname?
>
> TIA
>
> Von W. Rix
> Tri-Service Toxicology Consortium
> Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
> Phone: 513-255-6058 x-213
> FAX: 513-476-7094
> http://www.navy.al.wpafb.af.mil

LISTSERV 1.8b changed the default from Safe=No to Safe=Yes.  This
caused the SMTP MAIL FROM address to change from listname@listhost to
[log in to unmask]  The SMTP MAIL FROM address is where bounce
messages are supposed to be sent.  I believe that Eric made this change
in order to comply more with Internet practice and to be less dependent
on LISTSERV's mail loop filters.  The [log in to unmask] list (like
all lists on list.nih.gov) operates with Safe=No because Microsoft Mail
can't distinguish among the different headers used in Internet Mail.
The Microsoft Mail SMTP gateway puts the MAIL FROM address into the
Microsoft Mail From header.

It sure would be nice if there were an easier way to change LISTSERV
defaults (other than editing every list header).

Roger Fajman                                   Telephone:  +1 301 402 4265
National Institutes of Health                  BITNET:     RAF@NIHCU
Bethesda, Maryland, USA                        Internet:   [log in to unmask]
Postmaster for CU.NIH.GOV/NIHCU, LIST.NIH.GOV/NIHLIST, WEB.NIH.GOV, NIH3PLUS
List owner for LANMAN-L, PCIP, SNSTCP-L, and TN3270E, all @LIST.NIH.GOV